10 facts about guinea pigs
Here are 10 fun facts about guinea pigs! How many did you know?
- Despite being named guinea pigs these adorable rodents are neither from Guinea nor are they pigs.
- According to the Guinness World Records the longest living guinea pig was called Snowball and he lived to the grand old age of 14 years and 10 months!
- Did you know that the proper name for a guinea pig is Cavy? It comes from their latin name Cavia Porcellus.
- Guinea pigs are born fully furred with their eyes open and able to run immediately, they can also eat solid food straight away.
- Guinea pigs are very social animals and in the wild they live in herds.
- Guinea pigs have 4 toes on their front feet but only 3 toes on their back feet.
- A male guinea pig is called a boar and a female is called a sow.
- Like humans guinea pigs cannot produce vitamin C so must have it in their diet to avoid scurvy.
- When guinea pigs are really happy they spring into the air and kick their legs out, this is known as popcorning.
- Guinea pig’s teeth never stop growing so they must have plenty of hay to keep them worn down.